Zoo Watch: Superheroes and Villains at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Credit: Archant
Young wannabe superheroes can help save the world this May half term at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
The zoo is holding a ‘Superheroes and Villains’ week from Saturday, May 26 to Sunday, June 3. Families will be able to join the zoo’s squad of ‘global guardians’, including vets, keepers and scientists, to fight plastic, poaching and climate change.
Children can help ZSL’s (Zoological Society of London) vets operate on a poorly toy turtle, learning how marine animals are being affected by plastic in our seas and what can be done to help them.
They can also join zookeepers in the fight against the illegal wildlife trade, searching suitcases at a mini airport customs control centre, hunting for banned products and rescuing smuggled animals.
Scientists will teach families how to fit African hunting dogs with high-tech tracking collars, and show how data collected from the dogs demonstrates how climate change affects animals.
You may also want to watch:
To complete their superhero mission, children will held to Superhero HQ and come face-to-face with super villain Plastico at his plastic lair. Here, young caped crusaders can team up with ZSL’s superhero, Captain Z, to battle his arch-nemesis and save the oceans.
Once victorious, families can sign up to the #OneLess pledge to use reusable water bottles and learn how small but heroic actions can save the world’s wildlife.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
The junior wildlife warriors can marvel at the zoo’s 3,500 animals, including elephants, tigers and bears, and can develop their own agility and strength at Hullabazoo Indoor and Outdoor Play.
Superheroes and Villains at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is part of ZSL’s 2018 Superhero Takeover, a year-long celebration of wildlife and the ZSL superheroes striving to protect them.