Zoo Watch: Superheroes and Villains at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Credit: Archant
Young wannabe superheroes can help save the world this May half term at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
The zoo is holding a ‘Superheroes and Villains’ week from Saturday, May 26 to Sunday, June 3. Families will be able to join the zoo’s squad of ‘global guardians’, including vets, keepers and scientists, to fight plastic, poaching and climate change.
Children can help ZSL’s (Zoological Society of London) vets operate on a poorly toy turtle, learning how marine animals are being affected by plastic in our seas and what can be done to help them.
They can also join zookeepers in the fight against the illegal wildlife trade, searching suitcases at a mini airport customs control centre, hunting for banned products and rescuing smuggled animals.
Scientists will teach families how to fit African hunting dogs with high-tech tracking collars, and show how data collected from the dogs demonstrates how climate change affects animals.
To complete their superhero mission, children will held to Superhero HQ and come face-to-face with super villain Plastico at his plastic lair. Here, young caped crusaders can team up with ZSL’s superhero, Captain Z, to battle his arch-nemesis and save the oceans.
Once victorious, families can sign up to the #OneLess pledge to use reusable water bottles and learn how small but heroic actions can save the world’s wildlife.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 4 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
- 5 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 Hospices announce plans to join forces
- 8 VOTE: What is your favourite St Albans restaurant?
- 9 Doctors save woman's life during St Albans parkrun
- 10 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
The junior wildlife warriors can marvel at the zoo’s 3,500 animals, including elephants, tigers and bears, and can develop their own agility and strength at Hullabazoo Indoor and Outdoor Play.
Superheroes and Villains at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is part of ZSL’s 2018 Superhero Takeover, a year-long celebration of wildlife and the ZSL superheroes striving to protect them.