Zoo Watch: Giraffes enjoy veggie kebabs at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Credit: Archant
Giraffes at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo celebrated World Giraffe Day with a giant veggie kebab.
The world’s tallest vegetarians enjoyed a street-food style feast ahead of the zoo’s annual Sunset Safari event.
Sunset Safari features live entertainment and animal talks, as well as a variety of street foods from around the world - and zookeepers wanted to give the animals a taste of the action.
Keepers created giant skewers made from willow, with chunks of sweet potato, cabbage, carrot and parsnip for the five giraffes to enjoy.
Team leader Mark Holden said: “Our visitors can look forward to a variety of delicious fresh food at Saturday’s Sunset Safari event, just like the animals here at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo do every day.
You may also want to watch:
“To celebrate the special date in our calendar, we presented the giraffes with a giant vegetable skewer. They had to use their dextrous, elongated tongues to pull the tasty treats off the willow, just like they have to tug vegetation off the tops of trees to eat.”
Sunset Safari runs for one evening only, from 6pm on Saturday, June 23.
Visitors can book online at www.zsl.org
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 9 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works