Zoo Watch: Giraffes enjoy veggie kebabs at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Credit: Archant
Giraffes at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo celebrated World Giraffe Day with a giant veggie kebab.
The world’s tallest vegetarians enjoyed a street-food style feast ahead of the zoo’s annual Sunset Safari event.
Sunset Safari features live entertainment and animal talks, as well as a variety of street foods from around the world - and zookeepers wanted to give the animals a taste of the action.
Keepers created giant skewers made from willow, with chunks of sweet potato, cabbage, carrot and parsnip for the five giraffes to enjoy.
Team leader Mark Holden said: “Our visitors can look forward to a variety of delicious fresh food at Saturday’s Sunset Safari event, just like the animals here at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo do every day.
You may also want to watch:
“To celebrate the special date in our calendar, we presented the giraffes with a giant vegetable skewer. They had to use their dextrous, elongated tongues to pull the tasty treats off the willow, just like they have to tug vegetation off the tops of trees to eat.”
Sunset Safari runs for one evening only, from 6pm on Saturday, June 23.
Visitors can book online at www.zsl.org
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly