Young writer’s play Moon Carpet at the Maltings Arts Theatre
TALENTED young writer Katie Smith who, though still at school, won one of the three top awards in a Festival of New Playwriting last year is staging her new play Moon Carpet at the Maltings Art Theatre on Sunday.
It concerns six young people, showing them age from Year 7 to Year 13, and how people and their attitudes towards each other and society change over time.
Written, directed, performed and produced entirely by young people, the cast and crew features students from St Albans Girls School (STAGS), Beaumont and St Albans School.
Famous Island, Katie’s prize-winning play in the under-25s category the Festival of New Writing at the Abbey Theatre, was about a secret tropical haven for the rich and famous who wanted to escape their lives and the limelight.
Katie, who is in Year 11 at STAGS, commented: “Although I really enjoyed writing and directing that play, this time round I wanted to focus on my own age group, because I think very little playwriting is targeted at teenagers. I didn’t want to put across any anti-this anti-that messages, I just wanted to write an honest view on growing up in an average society.”
You may also want to watch:
Moon Carpet can be seen at 8pm at the St Albans theatre and tickets are �12.50 with concessions �7.50.
Go to www.maltingsartstheatre.co.uk for details on how to book or contact the St Albans Tourist Information Centre in person or on 01727 864511.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire