Young musicians herald summer with Harpenden festival
MUSIC provided by some of Britain’s top young musicians is on the agenda for Harpenden next month.
Once more the town will be hosting the Musicale Summer Music Festival from August 8 to 14 and not only will young musicians be attending a summer school at St George’s School but many of them will be taking part in a series of free lunchtime concerts.
In addition Harpenden’s own Guy and Magnus Johnston will be performing at a series of concerts at Harpenden Public Halls along with 17-year-old saxophonist Tyler Rix.
Cellist Guy will be performing with pianist Simon Lane at 7.30pm on Sunday, August 8, and Tyler Rix will appear at the same time on the following evening.
Magnus will lead the award-winning Navarra String Quartet at the Public Halls at 7,30pm on Wednesday, August 11.
You may also want to watch:
At 5pm on Friday, August 13, junior members of the summer school will give an instrumental concert in the Public Hall followed at 7.30pm by a concert given by the Musical Holiday intermediate orchestra.
The week will be rounded off on Saturday, August 14, with two concerts at 11am and 7.30pm by the Young Artists’ Symphony Orchestra. Their programme will include Borodin’s Prince Igor Overture, Delibes’ Sylvia Suite and Dvorak’s Eighth Symphony.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 10 St Albans house prices hit record high
There will also be a performance at 3.30pm by the Musicale Young Artists’ Wind Orchestra.
The lunchtime concerts will be staged between 1.15pm and 2pm from Monday, August 9, to Thursday, August 12, at the Harpenden Public Halls and entrance is free with a retiring collection for the Kent House Brain Injury Rehabilitation Trust in Aylesbury.
Tickets for all the other concerts are available from Musicale on 01582 713333 or 01582 460978 and cost between �8 and �18, depending on the concert.
In addition there is a “Roamer Ticket” available which gives access to all but the final concert of the festival priced at �25.