World first for St Albans Choral Society
THE WORLD PREMIERE performance of a new work will mark the opening concert of St Albans Choral Society s new season next week. Ad Lucem: a Canticle of Light has been commissioned by Alan McGlynn and dedicated to the memory of his wife Mary, who was a dedi
THE WORLD PREMIERE performance of a new work will mark the opening concert of St Albans Choral Society's new season next week.
Ad Lucem: a Canticle of Light has been commissioned by Alan McGlynn and dedicated to the memory of his wife Mary, who was a dedicated member of the choir.
Cecilia McDowall, the society's Composer-in-Association, wrote the piece using words taken from religious texts, poets and philosophers.
Scored for soprano, chorus and string orchestra, it reflects Alan and Mary's support for Amnesty International, particularly the charity's motto: 'It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.'
You may also want to watch:
The programme will continue in a spiritual theme with Dona Nobis Pacem by Latvian composer Peteris Vasks, Joseph Haydn's Missa Brevis St Joannis de Deo and Gerald Finzi's In Terra Pax which uses words from St Luke's gospel to depict a scene from the first Christmas. Two orchestral pieces from Mozart and Debussy will complete the evening.
Rebecca Rudge, who was trained at the National Opera Studio and has performed at the Royal Festival in London, will sing soprano. She will be accompanied by baritone Andrew Rupp, who studied at Cambridge and made his debut with the British Youth Opera. Musical director of the Choral Society George Vass will be conducting.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
The concert will be held on Saturday October 24 at St Saviour's Church in Sandpit Lane at 7.30pm. Tickets are priced at �17 and �15 with concessions at �14 and �12 and are available from the SACS ticket line on 07884 231958 or on the door.