Wilde times at St Albans theatre
ONE-woman show The Birthday of the Infanta is being performed at a St Albans theatre from next Wednesday to Saturday, March 2 to 5.
Trestle, which owns the arts base in Russet Drive where the play is being performed, has joined forces with Unicorn to put on the show in which adults and young people alike are invited to the Infanta’s 12th birthday party.
It is the only day of the year that the Spanish princess is allowed to play with other children but mixing those not of her own rank comes at a price.
Adapted from the story by Oscar Wilde, it tells of the events arranged to entertain the princess, culminating in a performance by an ugly boy and how their meeting changes both their lives forever.
Drawing on the passion and rhythms of Spain, it unifies movement, music and text to take the audience through the constraints of social hierarchies to the price paid for love.
You may also want to watch:
Aimed at youngsters aged nine and upwards The Birthday of the Infanta, which tours the UK until May, runs for around 90 minutes. Tickets can be obtained by calling 01727 850950 or go to www.trestle.org.uk
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 4 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 5 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans