Wilde times at St Albans theatre
ONE-woman show The Birthday of the Infanta is being performed at a St Albans theatre from next Wednesday to Saturday, March 2 to 5.
Trestle, which owns the arts base in Russet Drive where the play is being performed, has joined forces with Unicorn to put on the show in which adults and young people alike are invited to the Infanta’s 12th birthday party.
It is the only day of the year that the Spanish princess is allowed to play with other children but mixing those not of her own rank comes at a price.
Adapted from the story by Oscar Wilde, it tells of the events arranged to entertain the princess, culminating in a performance by an ugly boy and how their meeting changes both their lives forever.
Drawing on the passion and rhythms of Spain, it unifies movement, music and text to take the audience through the constraints of social hierarchies to the price paid for love.
You may also want to watch:
Aimed at youngsters aged nine and upwards The Birthday of the Infanta, which tours the UK until May, runs for around 90 minutes. Tickets can be obtained by calling 01727 850950 or go to www.trestle.org.uk
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 Harpenden St George's and Old Albanian well represented in England's Six Nations squad
- 4 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 5 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 6 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- 7 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 8 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 9 When One Direction, Ed Sheeran, The Police and Led Zep played Herts gigs
- 10 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role