Wheathampstead Academy is dancing with joy
UNLIKELY bedfellows have come together to provide a popular dance academy with a new studio.
The Wheathampstead Dance Academy has joined forces with the Wheathampstead Club in Lower Luton Road to provide the new studio which was the subject of a grand opening on Sunday.
The dance academy had been operating from a number of smaller venues but needed more space because of demand.
A doorstop conversation between St Albans councillor Annie Brewster and Nicki Bowden, ex-professional ballet dancer and principal of the academy, resulted in an introduction to Matt Sample, the chairman of the social club.
In the following days investigations were made into the cost of putting down a sprung floor suitable for a dance studio in the club’s large function room.
You may also want to watch:
But as the quotations were too high, Matt sourced a second-hand gym floor from an East London school with the club and the dance academy sharing the cost.
Matt and Nicki with another club member Mick Guy then fitted, sanded and polished each plank of wood in time for the start of the academy’s new term.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 9 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
A number of former pupils came to share the celebration of the opening, some of whom now dance with the Royal Ballet Company, the English National Ballet and in a variety of West End shows.
Among them was Olivia Cowley who is the first artist with the Royal Ballet and is currently starring as Natasha in Winter Dreams at Covent Garden.
Cllr Brewster said: “Wheathampstead is very fortunate to have such a successful dance academy led by the prodigiously-talented Nicki. Meeting some of her ex pupils and seeing the exceptional heights so many reached was an honour and a tremendous example for the young dancers receiving their exam certificates and cups today.”