Week of movies at the Alban Arena
- Credit: Archant
THERE’S an interesting mix of movies showing this coming week at the Alban Arena.
Love Is All You Need (15) is a romantic comedy directed by Golden Globe and Oscar-winning filmmaker Susanne Bier, which can be seen on Tuesday at 7.30pm.
Philip, an Englishman living in Denmark, is a lonely, middle-aged widower and estranged single father. Ida is a Danish hairdresser, recuperating from a long bout of illness, who’s just been left by her husband for a younger woman, Thilde. The fates of these two bruised souls are about to intertwine, as they embark on a trip to Italy to attend the wedding of Patrick and Astrid, Philip’s son and Ida’s daughter. With warmth, affection and confidence, Susanne Bier has shaken a cocktail of love, loss, absurdity, humour and delicately drawn characters that will leave only the hardest heart untouched. Starring Pierce Brosnan and Trine Dyrholm, it is a film about the simple yet profound pains and joys of moving on – and forward – with your life.
Summer In February (15) is a true tale of love, liberty and scandal showing on Wednesday at 1.30pm and 7.30pm.
Dominic Cooper (The Devil’s Double) stars as AJ (Later Sir Alfred) Munnings, with Emily Browning (Sucker Punch) as Florence Carter-Wood and Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey) as Gilbert Evans.
You may also want to watch:
A British romantic drama based on Jonathan Smith’s novel about love and loss among a bohemian colony of artists which flourished in the wild coastal region of Cornwall before the First World War.
Uproarious romantic comedy The Big Wedding (12) is showing at the Arena on Thursday, August 29, at 7.30pm, and tells the story of a charmingly modern family trying to survive a weekend wedding celebration that has the potential to become a full blown family fiasco.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 9 All aboard the Blue Tangerine Café for vital work experience
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
To the amusement of their adult children and friends, long divorced couple Don and Ellie Griffin are once again forced to play the happy couple for the sake of their adopted son’s wedding after his ultra conservative biological mother unexpectedly decides to fly halfway across the world to attend. With an all-star cast lead by Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro, Susan Sarandon, Robin Williams, Katherine Heigl, Amanda Seyfried and Topher Grace. With all of the wedding guests looking on, the Griffins are hilariously forced to confront their past, present and future.
Tickets for films matinees are £5 and for evenings are £7 or £5 for concessions.