Virgin territory for Harpenden Choral Society
DVORAK S setting of a 13th century poem on the Virgin Mary s sorrows at the crucifixion of Christ opens a concert by Harpenden Choral Society next Saturday, March 20. Joined by The King s Sinfonietta, the choral society is putting on Dvorak s Stabat Mater
DVORAK'S setting of a 13th century poem on the Virgin Mary's sorrows at the crucifixion of Christ opens a concert by Harpenden Choral Society next Saturday, March 20.
Joined by The King's Sinfonietta, the choral society is putting on Dvorak's Stabat Mater and Beethoven's Egmont Overture from 7.30pm at the High Street Methodist Church.
Stabat Mater was written by Dvorak in response to the tragic loss of all three of his children and combines influences from the choral traditions of his Czech homeland, Baroque religiosity, Wagner's music dramas and Brahms's symphonies.
Its huge success in 1880 firmly established Dvorak's fame in England which quickly spread to the English-speaking world.
Beethoven's Egmont Overture takes as its subject the history and heroism of the Count of Egmont, a Flemish hero.
In the music Beethoven expressed his own political concerns particularly the sacrifice of a man condemned to death by having taken a strong stand against oppression.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
The choir will be conducted by John Andrews with soloists Cheryl Enever, soprano, Deborah Davison, mezzo-soprano, Shaun Dixon, tenor, and Dean Robinson, baritone.
The performance begins at 7.30pm and tickets are available from Creature Comforts in Vaughan Road, Harpenden, from the ticket secretary on 01582 833073 or online at www.harpendenchoralsociety.org