Virgin territory for Harpenden Choral Society
DVORAK S setting of a 13th century poem on the Virgin Mary s sorrows at the crucifixion of Christ opens a concert by Harpenden Choral Society next Saturday, March 20. Joined by The King s Sinfonietta, the choral society is putting on Dvorak s Stabat Mater
DVORAK'S setting of a 13th century poem on the Virgin Mary's sorrows at the crucifixion of Christ opens a concert by Harpenden Choral Society next Saturday, March 20.
Joined by The King's Sinfonietta, the choral society is putting on Dvorak's Stabat Mater and Beethoven's Egmont Overture from 7.30pm at the High Street Methodist Church.
Stabat Mater was written by Dvorak in response to the tragic loss of all three of his children and combines influences from the choral traditions of his Czech homeland, Baroque religiosity, Wagner's music dramas and Brahms's symphonies.
Its huge success in 1880 firmly established Dvorak's fame in England which quickly spread to the English-speaking world.
You may also want to watch:
Beethoven's Egmont Overture takes as its subject the history and heroism of the Count of Egmont, a Flemish hero.
In the music Beethoven expressed his own political concerns particularly the sacrifice of a man condemned to death by having taken a strong stand against oppression.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Harpenden great-grandad celebrates 100th birthday
The choir will be conducted by John Andrews with soloists Cheryl Enever, soprano, Deborah Davison, mezzo-soprano, Shaun Dixon, tenor, and Dean Robinson, baritone.
The performance begins at 7.30pm and tickets are available from Creature Comforts in Vaughan Road, Harpenden, from the ticket secretary on 01582 833073 or online at www.harpendenchoralsociety.org