‘Veteran’ singer Harry is making his name - aged 11!
- Credit: Archant
At the tender age of 11, schoolboy Henry Nurse is already a veteran of Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club and Camp Bestival - and he has a starring role in this year’s Alban Arena pantomime.
Henry, who is in Year Seven at Sandringham School in Marshalswick, has a passion for the great American Songbook and has over 2000 records including rare 78s by Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald and Doris Day.
He has already played several London venues as a guest of West End and Cabaret star Gary Williams, including the famous jazz club.
An impromptu home-shot video of Gary and Henry singing Moonlight in Vermont after a Sunday lunch attracted the attention of American Songbook star Michael Feinstein who commented: “This young man is the future of the Great American Songbook…I feel a duet coming!” The two subsequently met at a concert Michael was giving in London.
The video also attracted the attention of the organisers of Camp Bestival where Henry and Gary performed before festival organiser Rob Da Bank invited Henry to perform two additional solo sets.
You may also want to watch:
Among those at Camp Bestival was the drummer from The Buzzcocks who invite Henry to get involved with an American songbook project he is producing next year. That led to the schoolboy going into the studio to create an EP of his favourite songs entitled Something Old, Something New.
But even though fame and fortune is beckoning, Henry has not forgotten his roots - he was invited to provide the entertainment at the Friends of Sandringham School annual ball and has also been cast as Michael Darling in the Arena Christmas pantomime Peter Pan.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common