Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain and Maddy Prior at Alban Arena
THE orchestra that made the ukelele cool is performing at the Alban Arena next Wednesday, December 5.
The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain is a group of all-singing, all-strumming ukulele players, using instruments bought with loose change.
They believe that all genres of music are available for reinterpretation as long as they are played on the ukulele. Their music ranges from Tchaikovsky to Nirvana via Otis Redding and Spaghetti Western soundtracks.
The orchestra was formed in 1985 as a bit of fun but the first gig was an instant sell-out. Consequently the current ensemble has been playing together for over 20 years.
They come on stage at 8pm and tickets are �18.50, available from www.alban-arena.co.uk or the box office on 01727 844488
You may also want to watch:
Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band are promising Christmas Carols and Capers at the Arena from 8pm next Thursday, December 6.
Folk singer Maddy joins up once again with the Carnival Band during the festive season to mix renaissance, modern and ethnic instruments.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
They perform favourites like The Holly and the Ivy and I Saw Three Ships to secular carols such as The Boar’s Head, dance tunes and specially composed songs from their variety of albums.
Tickets are �18.50
n Two performances at the Arena from iconic television comedian Alan Davies next Friday and Saturday, December 7 and 8, have sold out.