Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain and Maddy Prior at Alban Arena
THE orchestra that made the ukelele cool is performing at the Alban Arena next Wednesday, December 5.
The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain is a group of all-singing, all-strumming ukulele players, using instruments bought with loose change.
They believe that all genres of music are available for reinterpretation as long as they are played on the ukulele. Their music ranges from Tchaikovsky to Nirvana via Otis Redding and Spaghetti Western soundtracks.
The orchestra was formed in 1985 as a bit of fun but the first gig was an instant sell-out. Consequently the current ensemble has been playing together for over 20 years.
They come on stage at 8pm and tickets are �18.50, available from www.alban-arena.co.uk or the box office on 01727 844488
You may also want to watch:
Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band are promising Christmas Carols and Capers at the Arena from 8pm next Thursday, December 6.
Folk singer Maddy joins up once again with the Carnival Band during the festive season to mix renaissance, modern and ethnic instruments.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
They perform favourites like The Holly and the Ivy and I Saw Three Ships to secular carols such as The Boar’s Head, dance tunes and specially composed songs from their variety of albums.
Tickets are �18.50
n Two performances at the Arena from iconic television comedian Alan Davies next Friday and Saturday, December 7 and 8, have sold out.