Tom & Viv at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
The fine line between love, madness and creative genius is laid bare in Tom & Viv, the next production by the Company of Ten.
The woman who inspired – or rather drove – TS Eliot to write one of his darkest and best-known poems, The Waste Land, is the subject of the production in the Abbey Theatre Studio that opens next Thursday, April 24.
Tom & Viv tells the story of the doomed marriage of Nobel Prize-winning American poet Thomas Stearns Eliot to Vivienne Haigh-Wood, the vivacious but emotionally unstable daughter of an upper-class English family.
Although the pair had a successful professional relationship, with Vivienne often contributing to her husband’s work, the marriage was a personal disaster, leading Eliot to comment: “To her, the marriage brought no happiness. To me, it brought the state of mind out of which came The Waste Land.”
Director Tim Hoyle said: “Most people have heard of TS Eliot but Vivienne has become a phantom-like figure, on the fringe of his life. Tom & Viv has been described as ‘a reclamation project on behalf of a woman almost lost to history.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m certainly not claiming the play is the truth about the marriage. It is a drama, in some ways a fiction, about actual people and events. We want the audience to leave wanting to find out more about the characters portrayed but also having seen a cracking play.”
Performances are at 8pm from next Thursday until Saturday, April 26, and from Wednesday, April 30, to Saturday, May 3. There is also a matinee at 2.30pm next Sunday, April 27.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
To book tickets go to www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or call the box office on 01727 857861.