Tickets on sale for Hairspray at the Alban Arena in St Albans
- Credit: St Albans Musical Theatre Company
Earlier this year, St Albans Musical Theatre Company wowed the Alban Arena with their production of Oliver!, the story of the boy who wanted more. This autumn they are back again, but this time they’ve gone from ‘more’ to Baltimore!
‘Hairspray’ is set in 1962. Tracy Turnblad’s dream is to dance on The Corny Collins Show, a TV dance show. When Tracy wins a role on the show, she becomes a celebrity overnight, and meets a colourful array of characters. She then launches a campaign to integrate the show. The show is a social commentary on the injustices of American society in the 1960s.
The show is ever-popular amongst theatregoers, but is only on for 6 performances, so don’t miss out. Opening night is on Tuesday November 10 at 7.45pm, with evening performances up to and including Saturday November 14. There is also a matinee on the Saturday, at 2.30pm.
Director Alan Cox said: “The St Albans public gave us a rousing reception with our production of Grease last year and we promise to deliver once again. A lot of that cast have returned for this production and they really are The Nicest Kids In Town!”
Musical Director Clive Ogden added: “The music in Hairspray is fabulous. We will definitely get you dancing in the aisles. After all, You Can’t Stop The Beat! ”
You may also want to watch:
Featuring some of the brightest talents on the local theatre scene, the show stars Elise Allanson as Tracy, Matthew Gregory as Edna, Fenella Lee as Velma, Kate Palmer as Amber, Sharon Sepala as Motormouth Maybelle, Daniel Quirke as Link, Stefanie Chadburn as Penny and Omar Boothman as Seaweed, amongst other stellar names.
Claire Stanley and Henry Cox return as choreographers, following their energetic routines and success with ‘Grease’ in 2014.
Go to www.alban-arena.co.uk/events/hairspray and book your tickets before they’re all gone.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
Formerly known as St Albans Operatic Society, St Albans Musical Theatre Company produces two shows per year, staged at the Alban Arena. They have a history of putting on big, bold musicals to critical acclaim and have a large membership who get involved in all aspects of production. Previous to Oliver!, the company performed Grease, Annie, Follies and Guys & Dolls, amongst other favourites previously seen on Broadway and in the West End.
To find out more about the company and how you can get involved, please click here.