Thoroughly Modern Millie for St Albans Operatic Society
FRESH from wowing audiences in the West End and Broadway in recent years, Thoroughly Modern Millie is being performed at the Alban Arena next week.
St Albans Operatic Society (SAOS) is putting the final touches to the show which runs from next Tuesday, November 8, until Saturday, November 12.
Set in 1920s Manhattan, it is the era when short-skirted bobbed-hair flappers could easily find themselves in illicit speakeasy drinking clubs or even embroiled in an international slave-trade operation.
Though based on the 1967 film starring Julie Andrews, the new musical stage version is almost unrecognisable with its upbeat score and well-written and often comic dialogue.
SAOS has been performing in St Albans, mainly at the Arena, for over half a century and boasts a healthy balance of performing talent and administrative know-how as well as a good spread across the generations.
Performances of Thoroughly Modern Millie start at 7.45pm and there is a 2.30pm matinee on the Saturday. Tickets priced from �10 are available from the box office on 01727 844488.
For more information on SAOS go to www.saos.org.uk
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 5 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 8 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire