Thoroughly modern Mikado at Radlett Centre
IT will be hot, hot, hot at the Radlett Centre next week when EBLOS – Musical Theatre puts on The Hot Mikado. The show is a rewritten version of Gilbert and Sullivan s much-loved production of Mikado, intended to appeal to those who love the standard ver
IT will be hot, hot, hot at the Radlett Centre next week when EBLOS - Musical Theatre puts on The Hot Mikado.
The show is a rewritten version of Gilbert and Sullivan's much-loved production of Mikado, intended to appeal to those who love the standard version and to those who appreciate an updated and more modern approach.
The musical score contains all the well-known songs but this time presented with a venture into the world of jazz, gospel and blues singing.
Updated to the 1940s, the show reflects the style of the Cotton Club and the costumes are the racy colours of America with zoot suits, snoods, wedgies and felt hats.
You may also want to watch:
The dancing also uses the Lindy Hop, Jitterbug and other 1940s dances.
Hot Mikado, performed by the former Elstree and Borehamwood Light Operatic Society, runs from 7.45pm next Thursday, October 15, to Saturday, October 17, with a 2.30pm Saturday matinee.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Tickets are �12 with concessions �10, available from the Radlett Centre on 01923 859291 or online at www.radlettcentre.co.uk