Thomas Trotter for St Albans International Organ Festival
- Credit: Archant
The next concert in the St Albans International Organ Festival series is switching from the city to Haileybury College in Hertford.
One of Britain’s most highly-regarded organists Thomas Trotter will be performing a varied programme of music including works by Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Elgar at the concert in the school chapel from 5.30pm next Saturday, February 22.
A former winner of the St Albans Organ Competition, Thomas is the only organist to be a recipient of the Royal Philharmonic Society’s prestigious Instrumentalist Award and he won the International Performer of the Year Award in 2012 given by the New York City Chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
He has been city organist in Birmingham since 1983 and is also organist at St Margaret’s Church, Westminster Abbey and resident organist of the Klais organ at Birmingham Symphony Hall.
A celebrated recitalist, who has appeared at Salzburg, Berlin, Vienna and Edinburgh Festivals as well as the BBC Proms, he will be performing on another Klais organ at Haileybury College.
The concert opens with J S Bach’s Toccata, Adagio and Fugue BWV564 and ends with Elgar’s Imperial March. Thomas will also play Judith Weir’s Ettrick Banks and the suite Laudate Dominum by the Festival Society’s founder and president, Peter Hurford.
Admission to the concert is free with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 8 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Verulam Reallymoving's Houghton on a high with Bovingdon win
Full details of all the concerts in the 2013-2014 series can be found at www.organfestival.com