The power of three for Harpenden Choral Society
A TRIO of works composed by three of the great composers of the 17th and 18th centuries opens the 35th season of Harpenden Choral Society on Saturday. Celebrations of the English Court is being performed from 7.30pm at Harpenden High Street Methodist Chur
A TRIO of works composed by three of the great composers of the 17th and 18th centuries opens the 35th season of Harpenden Choral Society on Saturday.
Celebrations of the English Court is being performed from 7.30pm at Harpenden High Street Methodist Church.
It opens with Purcell's Come Ye Sons of Art, written as a birthday ode for Queen Mary in 1689, shortly after her investiture in the wake of the Glorious Revolution.
It will be followed by John Blow's Ode for St Cecilia's Day 1691 written for the celebrations that were a cornerstone of musical life at the end of the 17th century.
The concert ends with Handel's triumphant Te Deum for the Peace of Utrecht, a celebratory piece which put Handel on the first step to becoming England's favourite composer.
All three composers are buried at Westminster Abbey.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
The soloists will be soprano Joanna Forbes, counter-tenors Alexander L'Estrange and David Sherringham, tenor Sean Clayton and baritone Jonathan Gunthorpe. The choir will be joined by the King's Sinfonietta conducted by John Andrews.
Tickets for the performance are �12 for adults and �3 for children and students, available on the door, from Creature Comforts in Vaughan Road, Harpenden, or from the chairman on 01727 837207.
Further details can be found on the website www.harpendenchoralsociety. org