The old and the new
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict Format: Nintendo DS Price: £29.99 Advance Wars is a turn-based tactics game which is part of the long-running Nintendo Wars series. At a very basic level the object of the game is to take your team s army and defeat the enemy t
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
Format: Nintendo DS
Advance Wars is a turn-based tactics game which is part of the long-running Nintendo Wars series. At a very basic level the object of the game is to take your team's army and defeat the enemy team's army. It may sound like a very old and worn-out concept but it's accomplished in a way which makes it seem like a fresh idea.
There's an underlying plot involving a planet devastated by meteor showers and a band of survivors teaming up to save humanity which surprisingly does a good job of keeping you interested, even when the gameplay begins to become repetitive.
The gameplay itself will feel very familiar to anyone who has played risk and there is a distinct feeling of chance when you engage in a battle against an enemy of similar size. That said, if you are a fan of the series you will be pleased to know that there are more army details than ever before giving the game a much more tactical feel than expected.
- 1 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 5 Big Brother House set to return to Hertfordshire for 2023 reboot show
- 6 Investigation over unauthorised development on Green Belt site
- 7 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 8 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
This however is not the most important element of Advance Wars. This is the one of the best examples of the Nintendo Wireless gaming ability and allows you to have discreet battles against multiple human players. Dark Conflict is essentially an old concept that has been adapted well to new technology and it has left us with a pretty decent game that is worth a look for anyone getting bored with platform games or Brain Training.
ä Graphics: 4/5
ä Longevity: 4.5/5
ä Playability: 4/5
ä Originality: 2.5/5
ä Enjoyment: 3.5/5