The Ladykillers at the Maltings Arts Theatre, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Theatre company OVO has gone back to its roots with its latest production The Ladykillers which opens at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans tonight (Thursday).
It marks a return to the multimedia approach which characterised OVO’s early productions.
Now in its 11th year and the resident company of the Maltings Arts Theatre, OVO has collaborated with co-founder Simon Nicholas as film director on The Ladykillers.
Artistic director of OVO, Adam Nichols, said: “We were all really excited to welcome back Simon on this production. Since working with OVO, he has gone on to professional work in film and theatre.
“The use of film was an integral part of our original vision for the company and with Simon back behind the camera, we’ve been able to create a series of short films which complement and counterpoint the live action on stage.”
You may also want to watch:
Reimagined by the creator of Father Ted, The Ladykillers is an adaptation of the much loved Ealing Studios black comedy in which a criminal gang poses as a string quintet whilst planning a heist in the King’s Cross home of an oblivious old biddy.
When she becomes wise to their ruse the thugs draw lots to decide who should bump her off and the action spirals into madcap comedy. This is the first staging of the play since the original West End production finished last year.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 6 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 Area Guide: The Childwickbury estate explored
The Ladykillers runs until March 22 and tickets can be purchased in person from St Albans Tourist Information Centre, online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo or by telephone on 0333 666 3366.