The Ladykillers at the Maltings Arts Theatre, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Theatre company OVO has gone back to its roots with its latest production The Ladykillers which opens at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans tonight (Thursday).
It marks a return to the multimedia approach which characterised OVO’s early productions.
Now in its 11th year and the resident company of the Maltings Arts Theatre, OVO has collaborated with co-founder Simon Nicholas as film director on The Ladykillers.
Artistic director of OVO, Adam Nichols, said: “We were all really excited to welcome back Simon on this production. Since working with OVO, he has gone on to professional work in film and theatre.
“The use of film was an integral part of our original vision for the company and with Simon back behind the camera, we’ve been able to create a series of short films which complement and counterpoint the live action on stage.”
Reimagined by the creator of Father Ted, The Ladykillers is an adaptation of the much loved Ealing Studios black comedy in which a criminal gang poses as a string quintet whilst planning a heist in the King’s Cross home of an oblivious old biddy.
When she becomes wise to their ruse the thugs draw lots to decide who should bump her off and the action spirals into madcap comedy. This is the first staging of the play since the original West End production finished last year.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 4 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 5 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 6 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
- 7 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 8 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
The Ladykillers runs until March 22 and tickets can be purchased in person from St Albans Tourist Information Centre, online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo or by telephone on 0333 666 3366.