The gang’s all here for Harpenden show
- Credit: Archant
It may not be until next month but the 68th Harpenden Gang Show is already nearly sold out.
The show runs from January 10 to 14 at Harpenden Public Halls and it has been in rehearsal for the past four months.
The longest-running gang show in the world, it attracted 240 applicants, aged between 10 and 18, from 14 cub packs, 15 scout troops and five Explorer scout units across Harpenden, Wheathampstead and Kimpton.
The show is unauditioned and just over 150 youngsters will experience performing in front of six packed audiences.
Featuring singing, dancing and comic sketches, the show is very much a family affair.
You may also want to watch:
Many families have been involved since the show’s inception in 1949 with parents and grandparents, who were once on stage, now helping out behind the scenes.
Producer Ewan Murray has been involved with the gang show for 45 years, having first been on stage as part of the gang.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
Speaking of a lifetime of gang show experiences, he commented: “There’s no buzz quite like the Gang Show buzz – whether back stage, on stage or watching. The sheer joy on the faces of the young performers is a sight to behold and the audiences come back from far and wide every year.”
A few weeks ago some of the gang visited the Monarch Airlines’ hangar at Luton Airport to do a ‘spot of filming’ for a surprise feature during the show.
The last few tickets for the shows are available from the website. Phone enquiries should be made to 07855 732432 Monday to Friday 6pm-9pm, Saturday 10am-6pm and Sunday 12 noon to 6pm.