The Gang’s all here as young people get ready for next show
- Credit: Archant
Rehearsals have begun for the 67th Harpenden Gang Show - the longest-running such show in the world.
It will be performed at Harpenden Public Halls from January 9 to 15 with over 150 10 to 18 year olds taking part.
They have been selected from more than 220 applicants from the 10 scout groups and five Explorer scout units across the town.
Four months of rehearsals are now underway with audiences totalling more than 2,000 people expected to see a show full of singing, dancing and sketches.
Many Harpenden Gang Show families have been involved since the show’s inception in 1949 with parents and grandparents who were once on stage now helping out behind the scenes.
You may also want to watch:
For instance, the show’s set designer David Keen appeared in the 1960s, his daughter was in several shows in the 1990s and his grandson is on stage for the second time this year.
Producer Ewan Murray has been involved with the Gang Show for 44 years having first been on stage as part of the Gang in 1972, musical director since 1989 and producer since 1994.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
He commented: “There really is no buzz like a Gang Show buzz. The fact that we don’t audition gives everyone, whatever his or her ability, the chance to shine on stage. Audiences come back year after year, blown away by the raw talent displayed by these wonderful young people.”
All proceeds from the show are ploughed back into scouting in the Harpenden and Wheathampstead district with a proportion of box office receipts going to charity.
Tickets are available online from 10am on Saturday, November 9, via harpenden.gs or from midday on 07855 732432.
Telephone bookings can then be made from 6pm to 9pm, Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm Saturdays and midday to 6pm on Sundays.