The Gang’s all here as young people get ready for next show
- Credit: Archant
Rehearsals have begun for the 67th Harpenden Gang Show - the longest-running such show in the world.
It will be performed at Harpenden Public Halls from January 9 to 15 with over 150 10 to 18 year olds taking part.
They have been selected from more than 220 applicants from the 10 scout groups and five Explorer scout units across the town.
Four months of rehearsals are now underway with audiences totalling more than 2,000 people expected to see a show full of singing, dancing and sketches.
Many Harpenden Gang Show families have been involved since the show’s inception in 1949 with parents and grandparents who were once on stage now helping out behind the scenes.
For instance, the show’s set designer David Keen appeared in the 1960s, his daughter was in several shows in the 1990s and his grandson is on stage for the second time this year.
Producer Ewan Murray has been involved with the Gang Show for 44 years having first been on stage as part of the Gang in 1972, musical director since 1989 and producer since 1994.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 3 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 4 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 5 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 6 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 10 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
He commented: “There really is no buzz like a Gang Show buzz. The fact that we don’t audition gives everyone, whatever his or her ability, the chance to shine on stage. Audiences come back year after year, blown away by the raw talent displayed by these wonderful young people.”
All proceeds from the show are ploughed back into scouting in the Harpenden and Wheathampstead district with a proportion of box office receipts going to charity.
Tickets are available online from 10am on Saturday, November 9, via harpenden.gs or from midday on 07855 732432.
Telephone bookings can then be made from 6pm to 9pm, Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm Saturdays and midday to 6pm on Sundays.