The entente cordiale
A CONCERT of French and English music will be given by St Albans Chamber Choir on Saturday week, January 19. The main work at the concert, which begins at 7.30pm at All Saints Pastoral Centre in London Colney, will be the Mass in G Minor by Vaughan Willia
A CONCERT of French and English music will be given by St Albans Chamber Choir on Saturday week, January 19.
The main work at the concert, which begins at 7.30pm at All Saints Pastoral Centre in London Colney, will be the Mass in G Minor by Vaughan Williams who died 50 years ago.
The Mass is clearly influenced by English Tudor music and has a close kinship with the famous Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis.
Vaughan Williams studied orchestrations with the French composer Ravel and spent part of the First World War driving military ambulances in France.
You may also want to watch:
Those links are explored in the chansons that break up the Mass showing the talents of Ravel, Debussy, Sermisy, Costeley and Saint-Saens. An extra dimension will be added by flute solos from Monica McCarron who plays regularly with groups such as the London Mozart Players.
The choir's new conductor John Gibbons said: "This programme is chosen with the specific ambience and acoustic of All Saints in mind and I believe the evening will be one of beautiful yet haunting music where the 'entente cordiale' elements combine in a most beguiling and unexpected manner."
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
The audience will be invited to share refreshments with the choir after the concert and tickets costing £12 - £1 for young people and students in full-time education - are available from the ticket secretary on 01707 663110 and the Tourist Information Centre.
To join the choir's free mailing list, phone 01727 830871, and for further information about the choir visit www.StAlbansChamberChoir.org.uk