The entente cordiale
A CONCERT of French and English music will be given by St Albans Chamber Choir on Saturday week, January 19. The main work at the concert, which begins at 7.30pm at All Saints Pastoral Centre in London Colney, will be the Mass in G Minor by Vaughan Willia
A CONCERT of French and English music will be given by St Albans Chamber Choir on Saturday week, January 19.
The main work at the concert, which begins at 7.30pm at All Saints Pastoral Centre in London Colney, will be the Mass in G Minor by Vaughan Williams who died 50 years ago.
The Mass is clearly influenced by English Tudor music and has a close kinship with the famous Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis.
Vaughan Williams studied orchestrations with the French composer Ravel and spent part of the First World War driving military ambulances in France.
You may also want to watch:
Those links are explored in the chansons that break up the Mass showing the talents of Ravel, Debussy, Sermisy, Costeley and Saint-Saens. An extra dimension will be added by flute solos from Monica McCarron who plays regularly with groups such as the London Mozart Players.
The choir's new conductor John Gibbons said: "This programme is chosen with the specific ambience and acoustic of All Saints in mind and I believe the evening will be one of beautiful yet haunting music where the 'entente cordiale' elements combine in a most beguiling and unexpected manner."
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The audience will be invited to share refreshments with the choir after the concert and tickets costing £12 - £1 for young people and students in full-time education - are available from the ticket secretary on 01707 663110 and the Tourist Information Centre.
To join the choir's free mailing list, phone 01727 830871, and for further information about the choir visit www.StAlbansChamberChoir.org.uk