The Day After The Fair at Abbey Theatre as part of St Albans Festival
A SKILFUL stage adaptation of a bittersweet Thomas Hardy story is the next production by the Company of Ten which is also part of the St Albans Festival.
The Day After The Fair, dramatised by Frank Harvey, is being shown at the Abbey Theatre Studio from next Friday, July 1, until Saturday, July 9.
Like so much of Hardy’s work, it is set at a fair where the noise and excitement is heightened by the pulse of a new-fangled steam organ.
An ambitious young barrister on the local legal “circuit” falls for a beautiful servant girl and passion takes its course. But he needs a wife, suitable for his career and London society, and while the girl’s mistress tries to help her protegee, her well-meaning deception has unintended and fateful consequences.
The adaptation is firmly rooted in late Victorian Wessex but it is a drama which still resonates in the 21st century.
You may also want to watch:
Directed by Derek Coe, it features a strong cast of established Company of Ten actors.
Performances start at 8pm and tickets are available from the box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests