Tappalachian at Folk at the Maltings, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Folk at the Maltings will be stepping out into dance next Friday, April 4, when London Colney-based dance group Tappalachian feature in a stage show entitled Across the Pond and Back Again.
With music from its band, Tappalachian will present a programme of lively music, dance and song from the Appalachian Mountains, woven around the story of the way its dances originated from Britain and elsewhere, and evolved to the present day. Tappalachian’s dance style is characterised by its use of tap shoes and its original association with American Old Time music.
The dance style known as Appalachian Clogging evolved from the traditional English, Irish and Scottish step and clog dance of early settlers and incorporated other influences such as dances brought over by slaves and some native Cherokee Indian ritual dance steps.
It developed into the free-form solo flatfooting traditions found in south eastern states of the USA.
Since the 1930s, it has become a team dance and was brought back to the UK in the late 1980s by American dance groups.
You may also want to watch:
The performance starts at 8pm at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans and tickets are £10, with concessions for students, children and unwaged people £8 and £6 for under 16s.
They can bought on the door or in advance, online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo, by phone on 0844 870 0887 or in person at St Albans Tourist & Information Centre.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
For further information go to www.stalbansfolkmusic.org.uk or email email@example.com.