Take a chance on giant Monopoly in St Albans city centre
ST Albans is set to go Monopoly mad today (Sunday) when a giant version of the game is played out on the streets of the city. It is the second time such an event has been staged and the organisers hope to exceed the 70 teams and 360 players who joined in
ST Albans is set to go Monopoly mad today (Sunday) when a giant version of the game is played out on the streets of the city.
It is the second time such an event has been staged and the organisers hope to exceed the 70 teams and 360 players who joined in last year.
The game starts outside the Town Hall at 12.30pm although late entrants can start after that and everyone is expected to have found their way back by 4.30pm.
New routes and fresh checkpoints have been designed by the organisers and new venues occupying squares on the special playing board include the Museum of St Albans, Verulamium Museum, the Abbey Gateway and the restored Signal Box.
There are now three routes - one for families of just over two miles, a slightly longer one at three miles and one in which players visit every checkpoint which means covering around four miles.
There will be activities at each checkpoint including a treasure hunt at the two museums, physical challenges, quiz questions and a chance to operate the signals at the Old Signal Box.
- 1 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 8 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 9 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 10 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
Limited tickets are available for special tours of the cells at the Town Hall and if teams get hungry on the way round, there are lots of cafes, restaurants and pubs on the route.
Teams can register in advance at the Tourist and Information Centre and Alban Arena or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise they can turn up on the day when registration starts outside the Town Hall at 11.30am. More information can be obtained by calling 01727 827667.