Take a chance on giant Monopoly in St Albans city centre
ST Albans is set to go Monopoly mad today (Sunday) when a giant version of the game is played out on the streets of the city. It is the second time such an event has been staged and the organisers hope to exceed the 70 teams and 360 players who joined in
ST Albans is set to go Monopoly mad today (Sunday) when a giant version of the game is played out on the streets of the city.
It is the second time such an event has been staged and the organisers hope to exceed the 70 teams and 360 players who joined in last year.
The game starts outside the Town Hall at 12.30pm although late entrants can start after that and everyone is expected to have found their way back by 4.30pm.
New routes and fresh checkpoints have been designed by the organisers and new venues occupying squares on the special playing board include the Museum of St Albans, Verulamium Museum, the Abbey Gateway and the restored Signal Box.
You may also want to watch:
There are now three routes - one for families of just over two miles, a slightly longer one at three miles and one in which players visit every checkpoint which means covering around four miles.
There will be activities at each checkpoint including a treasure hunt at the two museums, physical challenges, quiz questions and a chance to operate the signals at the Old Signal Box.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Limited tickets are available for special tours of the cells at the Town Hall and if teams get hungry on the way round, there are lots of cafes, restaurants and pubs on the route.
Teams can register in advance at the Tourist and Information Centre and Alban Arena or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise they can turn up on the day when registration starts outside the Town Hall at 11.30am. More information can be obtained by calling 01727 827667.