Sweet for Sixteen at St Albans Abbey
HARRY Christophers and The Sixteen are performing Handel s Coronation Anthems at St Albans Abbey next Saturday, April 18. It is part of their 2009 Choral Pilgrimage to 27 historic venues across the UK to celebrate the respective anniversaries this year of
HARRY Christophers and The Sixteen are performing Handel's Coronation Anthems at St Albans Abbey next Saturday, April 18.
It is part of their 2009 Choral Pilgrimage to 27 historic venues across the UK to celebrate the respective anniversaries this year of Purcell, MacMillan and Handel. The Sixteen themselves are celebrating their 30th anniversary in 2009.
At selected venues, including St Albans Abbey, The Sixteen will be joined by the full choir and orchestra for a celebration of the music of Handel. Harry said: "No celebration of Handel's life would be complete without performing the Coronation Anthems. These were his first commissions as a British citizen and to be invited to write the music for George II's Coronation was a great honour for Handel - he was not to disappoint.
"Public excitement about the music was electric and to prove lasting. The opening to Zadok the Priest has to be one of the greatest moments of suspense and anticipation in music - it is pure theatre."
The performance begins at 7.30pm and tickets at �26, �20 and �10 are on sale at the Abbey information desk on 01727 890256.
In addition, a workshop is being held for amateur singers during the day at St Albans School. Anyone interested in taking part should contact email@example.com
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time