Stellar line up for Harpenden Comedy Festival
TICKETS are now on sale for the first Harpenden Comedy Festival which is being held in the Public Halls.
Eleven comedians will be taking to the stage of the Harpenden theatre during the week of July 19 to 24 to preview their Edinburgh Festival 2011 shows offering an opportunity to see top comics before they head for the Scottish capital.
The week begins with a double header on Tuesday, July 19, with newcomers Josh Widdicombe and Sean Walsh who have both recently appeared on Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow and Live at the Apollo gaining rave reviews.
Comedy legend Barry Cryer appears on Wednesday, July 20, performing his new show Butterfly Brain. Barry has written for and performed with a host of comedy stars in his time from The Two Ronnies to Morecambe and Wise.
His new show takes the audience on an hypothetical alphabetical journey from A–Z.
The winner of the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Award for Best Newcomer in 2010 Roisin Conarty and Chortle Student Comedian of the Year 2007 Tom Deacon appear on Thursday, July 21. Both are rising stars of the UK comedy scene.
Sketch night on Friday, July 22, features new group Jigsaw, comprising Dan Antopolski, Nat Luurtsema and Tom Craine, performing their quirky, smart and silly sketches. They are followed by Steve Hall, member of We Are Klang who recently supported Russell Howard on his sell-out UK tour.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 9 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
Gareth Richards, Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Award Nominee 2010, and Andy Zaltzman bring the festival to a close on Saturday, July 23. Andy has been described as the Bob Monkhouse of political comedy while Gareth can be heard every Saturday morning from 8am on Frank Skinner’s Absolute Radio Show.
For further information and bookings, call the box office on 01582 767525 or visit www.harpendenpublichalls.co.uk , where full listings and online booking are available.