Stan's fans ready for annual treat at Maltings, St Albans
FANS of Stan Tracey are putting on their second gig featuring the legendary British jazz pianist in St Albans next month. Fansofstan came into existence last year when the original promoter of the annual gig, St Albans Arts, was forced by commitment to it
FANS of Stan Tracey are putting on their second gig featuring the legendary British jazz pianist in St Albans next month.
Fansofstan came into existence last year when the original promoter of the annual gig, St Albans Arts, was forced by commitment to its Town Hall project to withdraw.
This year's concert is being held at 8pm on Saturday, October 10, in the Maltings Arts Theatre.
At 82 Stan, who lives in St Albans, spans the history of British modern jazz right from his house pianist days at Ronnie Scott's in the sixties to regular appearances at jazz festivals today.
You may also want to watch:
He is a prolific composer and as a player, his works range from solo piano to big band.
As well as long-established monthly gigs at the Bull's Head in Barnes, he played Brecon Jazz Festival most recently and one-off events both in this country and on the continent.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
This year's highlight was his first appearance at the Proms when he delighted an appreciative late-night audience with a performance of his big band suite Genesis.
Re-issues of his earlier albums are also much in evidence and a new CD with his quartet, Senior Moment, will be on sale on the night of his St Albans gig.
Stan will be joined by two members of his trio - Andrew Cleyndert on bass and son Clark on drums, while fansofstan have also grabbed the services of Guy Barker on trumpet, who was a real showstopper last year, and Sam Mayne on alto sax.
Tickets to see Stan are �16, available from the arts theatre box office on 01727 844222.