Stan's fans ready for annual treat at Maltings, St Albans
FANS of Stan Tracey are putting on their second gig featuring the legendary British jazz pianist in St Albans next month. Fansofstan came into existence last year when the original promoter of the annual gig, St Albans Arts, was forced by commitment to it
FANS of Stan Tracey are putting on their second gig featuring the legendary British jazz pianist in St Albans next month.
Fansofstan came into existence last year when the original promoter of the annual gig, St Albans Arts, was forced by commitment to its Town Hall project to withdraw.
This year's concert is being held at 8pm on Saturday, October 10, in the Maltings Arts Theatre.
At 82 Stan, who lives in St Albans, spans the history of British modern jazz right from his house pianist days at Ronnie Scott's in the sixties to regular appearances at jazz festivals today.
You may also want to watch:
He is a prolific composer and as a player, his works range from solo piano to big band.
As well as long-established monthly gigs at the Bull's Head in Barnes, he played Brecon Jazz Festival most recently and one-off events both in this country and on the continent.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
This year's highlight was his first appearance at the Proms when he delighted an appreciative late-night audience with a performance of his big band suite Genesis.
Re-issues of his earlier albums are also much in evidence and a new CD with his quartet, Senior Moment, will be on sale on the night of his St Albans gig.
Stan will be joined by two members of his trio - Andrew Cleyndert on bass and son Clark on drums, while fansofstan have also grabbed the services of Guy Barker on trumpet, who was a real showstopper last year, and Sam Mayne on alto sax.
Tickets to see Stan are �16, available from the arts theatre box office on 01727 844222.