Stalwart of St Albans art scene dies, 83
WELL-known local artist Alan Norris has died at his St Albans home aged 83. Trained at St Albans Art College and at Bournemouth, he ran the art and design department at St Albans (later Oaklands) College until his retirement in 1991. He also taught there
WELL-known local artist Alan Norris has died at his St Albans home aged 83.
Trained at St Albans Art College and at Bournemouth, he ran the art and design department at St Albans (later Oaklands) College until his retirement in 1991.
He also taught there at both day and evening classes where many people remember him as a gentle and helpful teacher.
During the last war, he was in the Royal Artillery and was scheduled to go to Arnheim before being switched on to a course on Morse Code.
You may also want to watch:
Local artist Marsden Hammant, who was given his first teaching job at Oaklands through Alan, said: "He told me that when he retired he picked up his brushes and carried on painting St Albans. He painted every day and over the years created many hundreds of paintings of St Albans and its people.
"I would be surprised if anyone has painted St Albans more than Alan. He was a strong colourist and his paintings were always underpinned by strong drawing. He sold through word of mouth and more recently through Herts Open Studios and there are just so many homes around the district with Alan's paintings."
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
A memorial service is to be held in St Stephen's Church, St Albans, at 2.30pm next Friday, August 14.
A plan is being drawn up to catalogue Alan's work with photographs of known works and their whereabouts for the Hertfordshire archives.
He usually signed his work AN with the date and anyone who owns an Alan Norris painting is asked to contact Steve Rogers on 01727 811412.