St Stephen Parish Arts Festival a great success
A PARISH’S inaugural arts festival went off with a bang earlier this month.
St Stephen parish council decided to hold the event over three days at Greenwood Park Community Centre in Chiswell Green in order to celebrate the local arts and hundreds of people turned out for the showcase over the course of the weekend.
Chairman of the council, Bill Pryce, said: “The weekend was opened by Katharina Kubrick who gave a very heartfelt opening speech in support of the arts followed by the rock band Defamers. The rest of the weekend was packed with events from rock bands to a solo jazz saxophonist, a brass quintet to spectacular solo opera singer Caroline Pooley and the fantastic young pop singer Olivia Riches.”
Other performances included the Strum and Drums, the Kids Rock Band under the direction of Gerri Bazzinotti, ballet from the Penny Waterman Dance Group and the Wicket Brood morris dancers, as well as line, salsa and belly dancing.
There were also art displays from Bricket Wood Art Club, photographic displays by the Park Street Camera Club and Handley Page Society, demonstrations of oil and watercolour painting by Alan Vernon and Derek Oliver as well as demonstrations of lace making, patchwork and calligraphy and box making by the Herts and Beds Wood Turners.
You may also want to watch:
Children enjoyed butterfly mask colouring and art work by Killigrew School and Diggy Kids was on display.
Cllr Pryce added: “Following a very successful first arts festival St Stephen Parish Council is looking forward to two years time when the next festival will be planned.”
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 7 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 8 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 9 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 10 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots