St Cecilia Festival Society at St Albans Abbey
THREE local choirs and the St Albans Symphony Orchestra are coming together to perform Mendelssohn’s popular oratorio Elijah in the Abbey on Saturday night.
For more than half a century, the St Albans St Cecilia Festival Society has been bringing together local musical societies to perform classics which need larger forces than just one group can provide.
Performing Elijah will be the Hardynge Choir, Radlett Choral Society, St Albans Chamber Choir as well as the orchestra.
The post of conductor is rotated among the conductors of the member organisations and this year Rufus Frowde, musical director of Harpenden’s Hardynge Choir, takes a turn.
In addition to his work with the Hardynge Choir, he is also the organist and assistant director of music at the Chapel Royal, Hampton Court Palace, as well as the Surrey Youth Chir and London-based chamber choir VIVAMUS.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Elijah has been a hugely popular work in England since it was first performed. It is such a dramatic work, full of emotion and vivid musical storytelling. I am delighted by the standard of the soloists that we have engaged for this performance. This promises to be a great performance.”
The soloists include John Pierce who represented Wales in this year’s Cardiff Singer of the World competition.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
Tickets for the concert are available from the festival box office on 01582 763113 or at the Abbey Information Desk.