St Albans set to sparkle with Christmas lights switch on
FESTIVE sparkle will illuminate St Albans on Sunday when a day of seasonal entertainment culminates in the Christmas lights switch on.
A Christmas market featuring stalls selling gifts and decorations will be held between 10am to 5.30pm and a funfair for children will be laid on at midday as part of the day’s activities which have been organised by St Albans district council.
From 1pm visitors will also be treated to a stage show hosted by Heart radio, with performances from ElVince, Swanvesta Social Club, St Albans Rock Choir, St Albans Dance Academy and the Top Hat Stage and Screen School.
Father Christmas will also make an appearance, as well as stars from the Alban Arena’s Peter Pan panto including TV presenters Paul Hendy and Katy Ashworth, and radio personality Tank Montana.
The lights will be switched on at 5.30pm.
Cllr Sheila Burton, portfolio holder for culture and heritage at the district council, said: “The Christmas lights switch on in St Albans always draws a crowd and produces a positive community spirit and great atmosphere.
“The dazzling lights signal the beginning of the festive season and it is an event the whole city looks forward to each year. There will be a long list of performers and activities in the city centre throughout the day and I hope residents come along and enjoy the event.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt