St Albans’ Ruby Tuesday marking a decade of music
- Credit: Archant
Ruby Tuesday, the weekly gig at a St Albans pub, celebrates its first decade next week.
It is held every Tuesday at The White Lion in Sopwell Lane and was started by St Albans music lover Philippa Le Marquand to help boost midweek business at her local pub.
Singer/songwriter/guitarist Pete Sutton performed at the first Ruby Tuesday on March 16, 2004, and apart from one no-show by a band from East Grinstead, there has been music every Tuesday ever since, apart from Christmas and New Year.
Mac MacLaren, founder of the national events listing site Lemonrock.com, said: “Ruby Tuesday has been a massive success in raising the profile of live music in Hertfordshire and beyond. Philippa’s dedication and enthusiasm has paid dividends to The White Lion and has enabled all genres of bands and artists – a constantly changing rota of jazz, blues, folk, pop, country and rock – to reach a wider audience.”
The anniversary celebrations will be led by another staunch supporter of Ruby Tuesday, Jim Rodford, with many of his clan contributing to the evening, including his sons Russell and Steve and his granddaughters Anya and Cara, together with vocalist Derik Timms.
You may also want to watch:
Jim and his wife Jean come to Ruby Tuesday most weeks when he is not touring with The Zombies.
Philippa added: “We have enjoyed such an amazing range of music at the Lion on Tuesday nights over the years, ranging from an eight-piece swing band such as Lou’s Sextet to classical guitarist Roland Chadwick, with brilliant blues, country, soul, rock, folk, pop, trailer trash and jazz in-between.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 10 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
“We are so lucky that the White Lion has had such an enlightened and supportive landlord in David Worcester since he took over the pub nine years ago.”
The Rodford Files and guests play The White Lion from 9pm to 11pm next Tuesday, March 19. Details can be found at www.lemonrock.com/whitelion