St Albans’ Rory Carver in operatic Alice
A CHALLENGING role beckons for a St Albans performer in a new operatic production of Lewis Carroll’s classic tale Alice.
Rory Carver, who attended St Albans School and sings in the Dagnall Street Baptist Church choir, is taking on the role of the Mad Hatter as well as musically directing the Opera Warwick production.
He said: “It’s been a real challenge to create something that caters to opera lovers as well as opera novices. I’d love to think that the show would encourage other young people to get as involved in music as I have growing up.”
The show uses an original script written by Samuel Worthington – currently completing his master’s degree in English at Warwick University – and features familiar songs in unexpected situations from composers as diverse as Verdi and Sondheim.
The 35-strong cast includes some of the university’s current opera scholars, working with students who simply love to sing, and features nine different nationalities in cast and crew.
You may also want to watch:
Artistic director Harriet Birchall said the idea was to use the familiar story of Alice to showcase some of opera’s great songs – suitably adapted to fit her adventures in Wonderland. She added: “Like the Knave of Hearts, we’ve let all the great composers do all the hard work, and then pinched the very best of them. Opera can be magnificent, but quite daunting, but our adaptation of Alice shows that it can also be fun.”
The show is being performed at 7:30pm next Saturday, May 5, at St Paul’s Church, Covent Garden, London. Tickets at �10-�12 and �38 for families are available from the boxoffice on 08456 801 926 or www.alicetheopera.co.uk
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire