St Albans’ own Elvis to conduct weddings
ELVIS fans face being All Shook Up at the prospect of being married by the King himself.
And there will certainly not be any Crying in the Chapel when Elvis Shmelvis, aka Martyn Dias, 50, of Ragged Hall Lane, St Albans, starts regularly conducting wedding ceremonies.
Martyn has become the first qualified and certified Elvis celebrant in the country and by doing so, couples wanting the full Elvis experience will no longer have to fly to a Las Vegas Chapel for it.
Not only can he, assisted by his wife Sue, preside over civil ceremonies, but the couple can also take marriage vow renewals and baby naming ceremonies.
Martyn explained that he first got the idea of becoming a celebrant after appearing in an episode of Holby City in which he conducted an Elvis wedding, singing Love Me Tender at the same time.
You may also want to watch:
He decided he wanted to do it properly and set about researching how to become a celebrant. He is now a fully-qualified member of the Institute of Wedding Celebrants and can conduct any number of ceremonies including civil, gay and baby naming.
Martyn went on: “The only thing I can’t do is sign the register but the law is changing so I will soon be able to.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
The law is also changing on licensed premises so he will be able to conduct ceremonies in far more places than at present – even on the underground if the happy couple so wish.
In fact, Martyn will be officiating at a special Elvis Vegas Chapel in Shoreditch on five days of the week next month, conducting weddings every half an hour.
He is busy writing the ceremony at the moment and he is incorporating such additions as the happy couple facing Gracelands, the home of Elvis, and his birthplace before facing each other.
And he expects to serenade them with a burst of Love Me Tender to complete their special day.