St Albans’ OVO get to the Art of the matter
THE complexities of friendship are at the heart of Yasmina Reza’s Art, the next production by St Albans drama group OVO.
It poses the question – are you who you think you are or who your friends think you are?
Serge has bought a modern work of art for a large sum of money but Marc is not won over by it. Yvan attempts, unsuccessfully, to placate both sides and lines are drawn as they square off over the canvas.
As their arguments become less theoretical and more personal, they border on destroying their friendship.
Art, which has been described as outrageous, funny and ultimately moving, is regarded as one of the best plays of the last 20 years. Originally written in French in 1994, the play was translated into English by Christopher Hampton and ran for nearly seven years in the West End featuring a regularly changing but well-known cast including Nigel Havers, Frank Skinner and Jamie Theakston.
You may also want to watch:
OVO is performing Art at their theatre in Pudding Lane, St Albans, from next Wednesday, February 23, until Saturday, March 5. There are no performances on February 27 and 28 or on March 1.
Performances begin at 8pm and tickets at �12.50 with concessions �7.50 are available from the box office on 07807 521436 or go to www.ovo.org.uk
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 Jon Clements back with his 'family' as Colney Heath announce four signings for first Southern League campaign