St Albans’ OVO get to the Art of the matter
THE complexities of friendship are at the heart of Yasmina Reza’s Art, the next production by St Albans drama group OVO.
It poses the question – are you who you think you are or who your friends think you are?
Serge has bought a modern work of art for a large sum of money but Marc is not won over by it. Yvan attempts, unsuccessfully, to placate both sides and lines are drawn as they square off over the canvas.
As their arguments become less theoretical and more personal, they border on destroying their friendship.
Art, which has been described as outrageous, funny and ultimately moving, is regarded as one of the best plays of the last 20 years. Originally written in French in 1994, the play was translated into English by Christopher Hampton and ran for nearly seven years in the West End featuring a regularly changing but well-known cast including Nigel Havers, Frank Skinner and Jamie Theakston.
You may also want to watch:
OVO is performing Art at their theatre in Pudding Lane, St Albans, from next Wednesday, February 23, until Saturday, March 5. There are no performances on February 27 and 28 or on March 1.
Performances begin at 8pm and tickets at �12.50 with concessions �7.50 are available from the box office on 07807 521436 or go to www.ovo.org.uk
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team