St Albans employee becomes Countdown champ
A ST ALBANS worker has proved he has a way with words after being crowned an ‘Octochamp’ on Channel 4 quiz show Countdown.
Tom Barnes, who works as a sports trader for spread betting firm Spreadex which is based in the city, won the maximum-allowed eight games in a row on the popular afternoon programme.
The 27 year old produced a string of nine letter words, scored more than 100 points on four occasions and also posted the show’s record winning margin – a 119-7 success.
He will now take on Mary Adie in the quarter-finals on Monday (May 30) as he makes a bid to become overall series champion.
Tom, who lives in West Hampstead, said: “I’m really pleased with my performance. I thought I had a chance to do quite well, but becoming an Octochamp has surpassed all my expectations.
You may also want to watch:
“The whole experience has been fantastic, especially the response from my family, friends and colleagues.
“The Countdown team are very friendly and welcoming, and I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone thinking of applying.”
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 10 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
Tom could even find himself facing a former Spreadex work colleague during his bid to become champion. Ned Pendleton, who also worked as a sports trader in the same Grosvenor Road office until late last year, is among the other quarter-finalists.