St Albans duo LS One to go on tour
TALENTED St Albans urban duo LS One have made giant strides in the music industry, recently supporting the likes of Tinchy Stryder, DJ Ironik, N-Dubz and Flo Rida.
Now the former Francis Bacon School pupils, Ice Playa (aka Michael Lawrence) and Kristal (Chris Green) are about to release two songs and go on tour in the UK.
Both 25, they credit the secondary school for fostering their musical abilities, allowing them time and space during lunch break to learn how to DJ, and write songs and lyrics.
Ice Playa said: “At school I used to like writing stories, so with music, it is like a story and then obviously you perform it. We were into rap from school. The whole music element came into play and it made perfect sense to become a group.”
Upon leaving Francis Bacon, he studied music at a specialist college for two years in Tottenham, graduating with a BTech music diploma.
You may also want to watch:
Ice Playa added: “With regard to music, London is the main hub, so I wanted to go there and build up my contacts, which I have done.”
Inspiration for the duo’s music comes mostly from the beat.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Ice Playa explained: “We listen to beats that producers send us, and then with those beats, we just literally pick up the best ones we like, and from there we write the song and come up with the concept as well.
“We like to experiment, so there is nothing we are afraid to do.”
Word about their talent has spread beyond St Albans, and the duo have been asked to support well-known artists including Chipmunk, JLS, Bow Wow and Olly Murs.
Ice Playa said: “We jumped at the opportunity. They are very supportive. None of the acts we’ve supported are big-headed, they are just normal, down-to-earth people.”
LS One have a tour starting on April 3, performing in the likes of Cardiff, Bristol, Colchester, Bournemouth, Basildon and Camberley.
In Brighton they will be supporting X Factor finalist Frankie Cocozza at the Oceana. Ice Playa said: “It’s going to be electric in there.”
Kristal and Ice Playa have also recently completed two videos, to be released shortly.
Hoodstar is a big budget video produced by George Burt, who has also directed N-Dubz videos. Light it Up, featuring hip hop artist Uncle Mix, was shot in Hemel Hempstead.
Ice Playa’s advice to budding musicians is to, “follow your dream, stay focussed and build your contacts, it’s definitely about networking. It’s a lot of hard work.”
You can follow LS One on twitter: @Lsone2012 or on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/Lsonetv