St Albans choir taking music to the city
A NEW series of concerts to be performed in and around the city by St Albans Chamber Choir will get underway shortly. The choir has a growing reputation for mixing well-known works with exciting discoveries in the world of choral music. Among the rarities
A NEW series of concerts to be performed in and around the city by St Albans Chamber Choir will get underway shortly.
The choir has a growing reputation for mixing well-known works with exciting discoveries in the world of choral music.
Among the rarities are a processional ritual from 17th century Latin America which will feature in Music for Choir and Brass next February at the Abbey and one of America's greatest unaccompanied choral works, The Peaceable Kingdom by Randall Thompson, in a concert entitled Peace next June at the All Saints Pastoral Centre in London Colney.
The forthcoming concerts give audiences a chance to hear more of the accessible contemporary pieces that have become a feature of the choir's programming since John Gibbons took over as music director two years ago. They include works by John himself, Cecilia MacDowall, Eric Whitacre and John Rutter.
You may also want to watch:
For fans of tradition, the concerts also include music from the baroque, classical and romantic eras by such masters as Mendelssohn, JS Bach, Giovanni Gabrieli and Rossini whose Petite Messe Solenelle features in the choir's Spring concert in St Peter's Church next April.
The season opens with the choir taking part in the St Albans St Cecilia Festival Society performance of the Verdi Requiem in St Albans Abbey on Saturday, October 17.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Three days later, the choir will be holding an open rehearsal for anyone interested in joining as rehearsals start for the Christmas concert on December 12 at the All Saints Pastoral Centre.
Further information about the open rehearsal and all the season's concerts can be found on the choir's website www.stalbanschamberchoir.org.uk or by calling the secretary, Sue Penny, on 01582 620398.