St Albans Chamber and Abbey Girls Choirs at St Saviour’s Church
A CONCERT for Advent brings together St Albans Chamber Choir with the Abbey Girls Choir for the first time next Saturday, December 3.
The centrepiece of the concert at St Saviour’s Church will be a performance of Britten’s A Boy was Born, written when the composer was only 19.
The work is a set of choral variations using texts from old English poems and carols and includes an atmospheric setting of In the Bleak Midwinter.
Rarely performed because of its difficulty, the composition is scored for adult choir in four to eight parts together with a unison children’s choir, sung by the Abbey Girls Choir.
Formed in 1996, the Girls Choir is now regarded as one of the finest ensembles of its type in the UK. In addition to the Britten, they will be performing settings of Christmas texts by Warlock, Howells and Vaughan Williams, conducted and accompanied from the piano by their director Tom Winpenny.
You may also want to watch:
The Chamber Choir will also be singing John Tavener’s Hymn to the Mother of God and contrasting settings of Hodie Christus natus est by Palestrina and Poulenc and O Magnum Mysterium by Gabrieli and Poulenc.
The concert opens with the premiere of choir member Nicholas Hare’s carol Welcome Redemption’s Dawn and closes with the spirited arrangement of The Twelve Days of Christmas by Andrew Carter.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Tickets at �13 (�1 for children/students) are available by telephoning 07570 454744, email firstname.lastname@example.org, online at www.allaboutstalbans.com or on the door.