The Great Survivor Tour launches at St Albans Cathedral
- Credit: St Albans Cathedral
A new outside tour within the grounds of St Albans Cathedral launches next week.
The Great Survivor Tour is an exterior tour of the historic Cathedral and its grounds.
Stephen Da Silva, chairman of the guides, said: “Visitors will walk the outline of the Cathedral in the company of one of our experienced guides.
“They will stand on the hillside where Alban, Britain’s first Saint, was martyred and discover how Alban’s church has survived revolt, collapse and decay.”
You will hear stories of monks, martyrs, parishioners, Victorian restorers, royals and archbishops.
You may also want to watch:
Tours will run weekly at 2.30pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout August and September, no matter the weather.
The first tour starts on Wednesday, August 19 at 2.30pm.
- 1 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 2 Abbey Theatre banner vanishes from St Albans park railings
- 3 Property Spotlight: A barn conversion in an idyllic rural setting
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Church roof saved thanks to Lottery grant
- 6 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 7 We're JJAM-ing at new countryside kitchen
- 8 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 9 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
Tours are limited to 12 people per tour – six per guide – and must be booked online in advance.
To book visit www.stalbanscathedral.org/Event/the-great-survivor-tour
The tour costs £7 adults, £6 concessions and £3 children under 16.
It is free for under-fives.