The Great Survivor Tour launches at St Albans Cathedral
- Credit: St Albans Cathedral
A new outside tour within the grounds of St Albans Cathedral launches next week.
The Great Survivor Tour is an exterior tour of the historic Cathedral and its grounds.
Stephen Da Silva, chairman of the guides, said: “Visitors will walk the outline of the Cathedral in the company of one of our experienced guides.
“They will stand on the hillside where Alban, Britain’s first Saint, was martyred and discover how Alban’s church has survived revolt, collapse and decay.”
You will hear stories of monks, martyrs, parishioners, Victorian restorers, royals and archbishops.
You may also want to watch:
Tours will run weekly at 2.30pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout August and September, no matter the weather.
The first tour starts on Wednesday, August 19 at 2.30pm.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Tours are limited to 12 people per tour – six per guide – and must be booked online in advance.
To book visit www.stalbanscathedral.org/Event/the-great-survivor-tour
The tour costs £7 adults, £6 concessions and £3 children under 16.
It is free for under-fives.