St Albans Cathedral to open at night this week
- Credit: Arun Kataria
Fancy looking around St Albans Cathedral at night?
This Friday, July 24, St Albans Cathedral will open its doors for a very special after-hours event.
Part of the Association of English Cathedrals’ Cathedrals at Night, the Abbey will reopen between 7pm and 9pm to allow visitors to explore the historic site in a way they may not have done so before.
Lose yourself in the beauty of St Albans Cathedral at night as it moves from daylight to dusk during this reflective evening.
See the stunning architecture illuminated and watch the inside of the longest nave in Britain come to life as 700-year-old wall paintings are restored to their former glory through unique projections.
You may also want to watch:
You can also meet and hear from characters from the medieval Abbey’s past and explore what the modern Cathedral has to offer with its Pilgrimage Puppet Exhibition and A Last Supper installation.
Alternatively, it is an opportunity to reflect and just be in the Cathedral’s extraordinary spaces of peace and tranquillity.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 7 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
The concept is a regular feature in European cathedrals, which open on the same night in May every year, and it is hoped Cathedrals at Night will become a regular fixture here too.
The Cathedral shop and Abbot’s Kitchen café will also be open on the night.
The Abbot’s Kitchen café will be offering a range of refreshments including beers, wines, hot drinks, cakes and a special Cathedrals at Night offer of Pimm’s and strawberries and cream.
For more information, visit www.stalbanscathedral.org/Event/cathedrals-at-night