St Albans Cathedral to open at night this week
- Credit: Arun Kataria
Fancy looking around St Albans Cathedral at night?
This Friday, July 24, St Albans Cathedral will open its doors for a very special after-hours event.
Part of the Association of English Cathedrals’ Cathedrals at Night, the Abbey will reopen between 7pm and 9pm to allow visitors to explore the historic site in a way they may not have done so before.
Lose yourself in the beauty of St Albans Cathedral at night as it moves from daylight to dusk during this reflective evening.
See the stunning architecture illuminated and watch the inside of the longest nave in Britain come to life as 700-year-old wall paintings are restored to their former glory through unique projections.
You can also meet and hear from characters from the medieval Abbey’s past and explore what the modern Cathedral has to offer with its Pilgrimage Puppet Exhibition and A Last Supper installation.
Alternatively, it is an opportunity to reflect and just be in the Cathedral’s extraordinary spaces of peace and tranquillity.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 6 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 7 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 8 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
The concept is a regular feature in European cathedrals, which open on the same night in May every year, and it is hoped Cathedrals at Night will become a regular fixture here too.
The Cathedral shop and Abbot’s Kitchen café will also be open on the night.
The Abbot’s Kitchen café will be offering a range of refreshments including beers, wines, hot drinks, cakes and a special Cathedrals at Night offer of Pimm’s and strawberries and cream.
For more information, visit www.stalbanscathedral.org/Event/cathedrals-at-night