St Albans artist exhibiting refugee-inspired sculpture at Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
Local artist Susan Brzeski is currently exhibiting her sculpture A Life Unravelled at St Albans Cathedral
The work is inspired by the movement of people around the world due to war, terror and poverty and represents the pain, despair, and loss felt by them, as well as the strength, hope and determination to continue and find a new life.
Susan explained: “So many lives, homes and families are being left behind along with possessions and memories. The stark whiteness of the work reflects the anonymity of these people travelling with only the clothes on their back. I hope that the sculpture will provoke thought among viewers.”
A Life Unravelled is being displayed in the north transept of the cathedral and is accompanied by a book in which visitors are invited to write down any thoughts they have when viewing it.
The Dean of St Albans, the Very Rev Jeffrey John said: “It is wonderful for the Cathedral to host such a beautiful and thought-provoking work of art and we are delighted to be supporting a local artist. I hope it will have the intended effect of stimulating our imagination and compassion for refugees in the current crises who have lost everything and look to us for help.”
You may also want to watch:
The sculpture will be on display in the cathedral until March 20. Visitors are welcome to make a donation to Oxfam, which is responding to many emergency situations around the world, by visiting a Just Giving page set up by the artist.
For further information and opening times click here.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans