St Albans’ Abbey Theatre steps in to help out OVO production
AN ELEVENTH hour crisis that threatened a new production which opened last night (Wednesday) was averted after another theatre company stepped in.
OVO, which is putting on an eight-night run of Steve Martin’s play Picasso at the Lapin Agile, has had to switch the first four performances from its theatre in Pudding Lane, St Albans, to the Abbey Theatre Studio in Westminster Lodge.
The theatre company fell foul of licensing problems with the district council and thought they might have to cancel the first four nights of the play which centres on a mythical meeting between two of the 20th century’s most influential figures Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein.
But just to prove there is no lack of support among local theatre companies, the Company of Ten stepped in and offered its Studio to OVO for the next three performances – tonight, tomorrow and Saturday.
The remaining four from next Wednesday, April 13, to next Saturday, April 16, will be performed at OVO @ Pudding Lane as usual.
You may also want to watch:
Adam Nichols, OVO’s artistic director, said: “We are hugely appreciative of the support of the Company of Ten which has enabled these performances to go ahead.
“Many members of the cast of Picasso at the Lapin Agile appear regularly at the Abbey Theatre and we’re grateful for the close and friendly working relationships between our two companies which have made this switch of venues possible.”
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Tickets are �12.50 with concessions �7.50, available from the OVO box office on 07807 521436 or online at www.ovo.org.uk