Sisters are doing it for themselves at the Alban Arena
- Credit: Archant
Bringing a piece of the West End to the city next week is St Albans Musical Theatre Company (SAMTC) with its production of the award-winning show Sister Act.
It runs at the Alban Arena at 7.45pm from Tuesday, November 8, until Saturday, November 12, with a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm.
Based on the movie starring Whoopi Goldberg, Sister Act has been described by critics as a ‘heavenly joyful… feel amazing musical’. A tribute to the universal power of friendship, wise-cracking diva Deloris Van Cartier uses her unique disco moves and singing talent to inspire the failing church choir – while in witness protection disguised as a nun.
SAMTC has built a reputation for putting on large-scale shows like Grease, Oliver and Hairspray and tickets are £18.50 – £19.50 with £10 for a restricted view, available from the Arena box office on 01727 844488 or online.
Bar-based braveheart, Al Murray, aka The Pub Landlord, comes to the Arena next Sunday, November 13.
He is putting on two shows, the first at 3pm and the second at 7.30pm, in which he looks at the troubling times in which we live, ranging from Europe to the NHS and taking in fortnightly bin collections.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are £27.50.
* Open auditions for its forthcoming production Annie, will be held by RARE Productions at the Arena from 10.30am next Sunday, November 13.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
Ages eight to 12 will audition from 11am until 12.30pm and ages 13 to 21 will audition from 12.30pm until 2pm
The audition takes between 20-30 minutes and young performers will be taught a short excerpt from a song, a short movement routine and maybe asked to read from the script.
There is no time slot and performers can arrive arrive any time during the audition.
The show will take place at the Arena from March 9 to 11, 2017.