Singing showcase with Shakespearean theme at Harpenden festival
- Credit: Archant
A summer singing festival, which provides an opportunity for local singers to come together, is being held in Harpenden this Saturday. (25)
The Lea Singers have adopted a Shakespearean theme for its festival which is being held at St Nicholas Church.
It is a chance for local singers to meet, discover and sing together.
Tenor James Gilchrist, who performed with the Lea Singers in their performance of Bach’s St Matthew Passion in St Albans Cathedral last February, and his accompanist Anna Tilbrook, who grew up in Harpenden. will perform a Shakespeare-themed song recital from 2pm.
Afterwards, they will conduct a masterclass with three young local singers, mezzo-sopranos Izzi Blain and Nina Vinther, and tenor Oliver Martin-Smith.
All three will perform a solo song before being helped to perfect their performances by James and Anna.
The festival will end with the Lea Singers putting on a concert of a capella choral music inspired by the works of Shakespeare. They will be joined by the St Nicholas Church children’s choir.
- 1 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 2 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 3 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 4 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 5 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 6 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 7 Alex Lankshear goes pro after leaving St Albans City for a Championship side
- 8 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
Recital tickets are £15, £10 for under 18s and students. Choral concert tickets are £15, £10 for under 18s and students and there is a package price for the two events of £25, £15 for under 18s and students. The young singers’ masterclass is a free event, open to all.