Shakespeare, seventies style, at the Maltings, St Albans
A SHAKESPEAREAN play switched to a second rate seventies hotel on the English Riviera is the OVO alternative to panto at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans.
The St Albans theatre company has come up with its own imaginative version of The Comedy of Errors featuring two unhinged proprietors, two incompetent waiters and twice the mayhem.
Director Paula Chitty explained: “We had some early discussions about which seaside town to settle on. After several suggestions, from Polperro to Paignton, the cast agreed on Budleigh Salterton as being the new Ephesus.
“That’s when the real work began! We had to adjust references in the verse to reflect the new setting and find the appropriate moment for our on-stage musical trio to balance the manic action with some well-loved 70s numbers such as Queen’s Seaside Rendezvous.”
The Comedy of Errors opens at the theatre from 8pm tonight and runs until next Saturday, December 3, with no performances next Sunday to Tuesday, November 27 to 29.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are �12.50/�7.50, available from www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo, on 07807 521436 or from St Albans Tourist and Information Centre.
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 6 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 New rules are a further nail in the coffin for pubs
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier