Shakespeare, satire and a modern day fairytale
AN ACCLAIMED solo performance of a brilliant yet brutal narrative poem by Shakespeare is being given at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans next Wednesday, September 15.
Olivier Award nominee and RSC actor Gerald Logan will be performing The Rape of Lucrece at 8pm at the theatre on the second floor of the Maltings shopping centre.
It follows a five-star winning run at Edinburgh 2008 and sell-out performances in London.
The performance gives an account of the terrible crime of rape and its dreadful consequences and has been praised in the British Theatre Guide as “brilliantly recounted and eloquently spoken by a consummate story teller.”
Tickets are �12 with concessions �10, available from the box office on 01727 844222.
Next Saturday, September 18, Mitch Benn and his band The Distractions from BBC Radio 4’s Sony-nominated Now Show and the BBC’s One Show and Watchdog put on a two hour music and comedy show at the theatre.
Featuring new songs and old favourites, Mitch has been described by The Times as the country’s leading musical satirist.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 5 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 6 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 7 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 8 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
- 9 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
The performance begins at 8pm and tickets are �12 with concessions �10.
n The film of The Princess and the Frog is being shown at the theatre at 2pm this Saturday afternoon.
A fairytale is set in Jazz Age-era New Orleans and centres on a young girl named Tiana and her fateful kiss with a frog prince who desperately wants to be human again.
Tickets are �2.50.