Sgt Pepper’s Ukulele Band performing live in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
The 50th anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is currently number one in the UK charts – 50 years after the album’s initial release. Ver Players will be paying their own very special tribute to The Beatles’ seminal 1967 album in St Albans this weekend.
It was 20 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play... (the ukulele!)
Ver Players are celebrating The Beatles’ Sgt Pepper release 50 years ago by performing the whole album on ukulele.
The Hare & Hounds in Sopwell Lane, St Albans, is hosting the event this Sunday evening.
That includes classics such as With a Little Help from My Friends, She’s Leaving Home, When I’m Sixty-Four, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, A Day in the Life and the title track.
You may also want to watch:
Ver Players’ Stephen Wragg said: “The music transfers surprising well to ukulele, it’s complex and very varied.
“We have had a great time learning all the songs.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
“To promote the night I also recreated the famous album cover photograph in miniature; as befits a ukulele band!”
He added: “It should be a great night, dress up, sing along or come and watch, it’s free and all welcome.”
The gig by the St Albans Ukulele Group on June 11 runs from 7pm to 10pm.
• For more on the Ver Players, visit www.verplayers.org.uk