Series takes its foot off the pedal
Need for Speed ProStreet Format: Xbox 360 Price: £39.95 THE ever-popular Need for Speed Series returns with another instalment for the Xbox 360, only this time it s all about street racing. Whereas Forza Motorsport and Project Gotham pride themselves on r
Need for Speed ProStreet
Format: Xbox 360
THE ever-popular Need for Speed Series returns with another instalment for the Xbox 360, only this time it's all about street racing. Whereas Forza Motorsport and Project Gotham pride themselves on realism and Burnout prides itself on ultimate carnage, Need for Speed goes for the real petrol-heads out there, the types who think drifting is a normal cornering procedure and that Jeremy Clarkson should be the next Prime Minister. This latest instalment of the series adopts a theme very popular with EA production, namely, take whatever genre of game you can think of, be it basketball, football or racing, and create a version set in the city streets.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work with Need for Speed and ends up taking all of the gusto out of one of the most action-packed series to be released on the Xbox 360. The problem isn't so much a lack of new ideas because ProStreet has enough content to keep the most dedicated gamer busy for weeks, it's that the more enjoyable elements of the series such as the open world environment or the cop chases have been removed. It worked with NBA Street and to an extent it worked with Fifa Street but sadly taking Need for Speed and compacting it into "street" form has neutered a true 'live wire' of the games industry.
That said, there is some hope on the horizon and the updated driving interaction is interesting to say the least. It is obvious after only a few races how much effort has been put into making the drive feel more realistic and that the gamers have greater control over the performance of their vehicles. It's a nice touch but sadly not enough to save Need for Speed ProStreet from mediocrity.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
An average game that promised so much more.
ä Graphics: 4.5/5
ä Longevity: 5/5
ä Playability: 3.5/5
ä Originality: 3.5/5
ä Enjoyment: 3/5